Higher Income and Education Favored
- In Portland, Oregon, participation in a tree planting program was much lower if the neighborhood had lower high school graduation rates, a marker of general lower socioeconomic status.
- In Baltimore, Maryland, and Washington, DC, the free and reduced-cost tree planting programs have been most effective in affluent areas, which are much more likely to have higher tree canopy.
- Traits for effective tree planting programs include:
- Partnerships between the city and nonprofit groups,
- Reduced responsibility for property owners,
- Concentrating plantings in smaller areas, and
- Utilizing public property when possible